resources and links > programming > special events/themes> christine's themes > dog days
CHRISTINE'S THEMES: CREATIVE THEMED ACTIVITY PROGRAMS
By Christine Jennings
DOG DAYS OF SUMMER
Between July 3 through August 17 depending on source
Movie – Marley and Me, rated PG for thematic material, some suggestive content and language.
- Discussion – Print out information from Wikipedia on the Dog Days of summer. Start the discussion group with the residents to see what they were taught as children or young adults on the dog days of summer.
- Animal therapy – Invite someone that has a very social dog to come visit the residents. If any of the local dog kennel clubs have dogs that can do tricks to entertain the residents then ask them to come for a visit.
- Craft – Make fans out of wall paper samples you can get from the wall-paper store. If you ask them to let you have some old discontinued sample books they will for free or for a very low price. Make the old fashion according style fans, staple the end and add a ribbon to protect the hands from the staple. You can also us cardboard or poster paper to cut out a 6x6 or 8x8 inch circle or square and then glue on a large wood craft flat stick that looks like a Popsicle stick on one side. Let dry and fan away the hot summer air. Men might prefer cleaning or repairing a fan to use later on the porch or courtyard.
- Cooking – Make several types of ice tea and cucumber sandwiches that will be served at a facility social. Tea suggestion: Mint Julep, raspberry tea or make some fresh lemonade.
- Facility Social – there is nothing better than sipping cold ice tea and enjoying a cucumber sandwich on a hot summer day, complete with fans to keep you cool.
Christine volunteers her time compiling these activities, so please take a moment to let her know what you think. Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Click HERE to send a comment.