home > resources
and links >programing> safety -Site Map
SAFETY IN ACTIVITIES
- ALL arts and craft supplies (markers, glue, etc.) will be non-toxic and will remain in a
locked closet when not in use. For residents who enjoy independent use of these
items, a locked drawer or area will be provided on an individual basis.
- Sharp objects, such as scissors, needles, knitting needles etc. will be kept in a
locked area when not in use. These sharp objects will be closely monitored during use in an activity.
- Nail polish remover, aromatherapy oils, etc. will be kept in a locked area when not in
- A Material Data Safety Sheet (MSDS) must be available for all potentially hazardous
supplies that may be ingested such as glue, paint, Aromatherapy oils, etc. Please do
not purchase or bring in supplies such as these, without getting approval from the
Director of Assistant Director of Recreation. We must have an MSDS for each product.
- Resident limitations will always be considered and monitored closely during activity
- Monitor residents closely during a cooking program to ensure residents do not get
burned or injury themselves with knives, potato peelers etc.
- If an incident occurs, it will be reported to the Nurse Manager and Director or
Assistant Director of Recreation. An incident report will then be completed.
- Recreation staff is to report to the Charge Nurse when leaving the day room for any
reason. Residents are not to be left unattended in the dayroom!
- Follow all facility policies and procedures for fall prevention, abuse prevention,
elopement prevention, fire drills, evacuation plans, smoking, etc.
- When in doubt-ASK! It’s better to be safe than sorry!