I am often asked what crystals work together and what crystals shouldnít be combined. I havenít really come across a situation where crystals didnít work well together, however there are several things I keep in mind when combining crystals.
Opposing Energies and Too Much
I feel crystals usually work well together but be cautious of crystals that might have an opposing effect like Carnelian for energy, versus Blue Lace Agate or other calming stones. Combining two crystals with a very high vibration or powerful energy, may also cause some concern for various people. For example, combining Moldavite with Phenacite could be overwhelming for some. Common outcomes such as Lepidolite and Lithium Quartz are very calming and contain lithium, however be aware that it might be too much of one thing as well.
Intention, Intuition, Simplicity
What is your intention?†What is it you seek to do? Narrow down your intentions such as:
Healing (Green Aventurine), for bones (Calcite) or Citrine for tummy issues.
Follow your intuition for itís your compass. It truly is. I know everyone says this but it's the truth!
Keep it simple and know how the crystals work for you individually before combining. We see these enornmous, complicated crystal grids on social media. They are beautiful for sure but please don't feel intimidated by these. You can accomplish the same goals with smaller, less expensive or fancy crystals. It's not about the bling. It's about your intentions!
Color is a good place to start but there is a lot more to working with crystals than the color frequency alone. You can use a color wheel to view opposing colors as a guide. However, sometimes it works out. I use Green Aventurine or Malachite with Red Jasper or other red crystals. They are opposing colors but they work in some circumstances.
I know this may sound boring and all geo-geeky, but bear with me. The crystal structure can help you determine combination of crystals.
Cubic (or isometric) crystal system, based on a square inner structure. - Fluorite, Diamond, Pyrite, Gold, Garnet, Magnetite
Hexagonal Crystals based on a hexagonal (6-sided) inner structure. Ė Beryl, Emerald, Apatite, Aquamarine, Morganite, Sugilite
Trigonal crystal system (Rhombohedral System) - Based on a triangular inner structure. Quartz, Agate, Aventurine, Jasper, Hematite, Carnelian, Tourmalines, Calcite
Research: crystal structures or what is the structure of http://www.mindat.org/
I love combining crystals based on their crystal family. For example, the Quartz family: Clear Quartz, Rose Quartz, Smokey Quartz, Citrine, Amethyst, etc. Other great ones to combine include Calcite, Agates, Jaspers, Tourmalines, and so on. Jaspers, Agates and Quartz all work great together too!
Working with crystals in terms of the elements is not an area I am overly trained in but itís something to do further research on. There are many different cultures and philosophy which leads to conflicting information, but for example there is†Earth, Air, Fire, Water and Spirit.
Air/wind Stones - Amethyst, Fluorite, Selenite, Labradorite, Sugilite
Fire Stones - Amber, Carnelian, Citrine, Fire Agate, Fire Opal, Red Jasper,†Sunstone
Earth Stones - Agate, Jade, Halite, Hematite, Jasper, Jet, Onyx, Obsidian, Black Tourmaline, Garnet, Pyrite
Water Stones - Amethyst, Aquamarine, Moonstone, Blue Lace Agate, Celestite, Chalcedony, Chrysocolla, Pearl, Sea Salt, Selenite, Rose Quartz, Larimar
Spirit / Naisha Ashian has Storm as an element, so it varies: Apophyllite, Danburite, Diamond, Phenacite (Phenakite), Clear Quartz
General guidelines: mix fire with air, and earth with water. IN contrast, combining (FIRE) Carnelian/Citrine and (WATER) Blue Lace Agate, may not be a great combo.
Naisha Ahsian Crystal Ally Cards is a great resource to learn about crystals and the elements.
Some of My Favorite Combos
- Energy, creativity, vitality, power, get things done: Citrine and Carnelian
- Readings: Labradorite, Danburite, Celestite
- Sleeping: Amethyst, Rose Quartz and sometime Blue Lace Agate
- Stress/Anxiety: Lithium Quartz, Lepidolite, Rose Quartz
- Fear/ bad dreams: Smokey Quartz and black tourmaline
- Focus/concentration: Fluorite and Amethyst
- Ancient wisdom: Lemurians, Candle Quartz, Tibetan Quartz
- Hiking: Rainforest Jasper, Aquamarine, Labradorite
- General manifestation: Citrine or Pyrite, Black Tourmaline or Magnetite, and Quartz
- Grounding: Red Jasper, Blk Tourm and hematite or Lodestone
- Pain: Malachite and whatever the pain is. For example if my foot hurts I use Black Onyx or Smokey Quartz with the Malachite. If my head hurts I use Amethyst and Malachite or Black Tourmaline and Malachite.
- Sadness: Yellow Jasper and Fancy Jasper
- Love: Rose Quartz, Green Aventurine or Pink Tourmaline with Green Tourmaline
- Cold: Moss Agate for immune system and Blue Lace Agate for throat and sometimes Carnelian for vitality
- Hormones out of whack : different colored moonstones
- Skin: Rose Quartz and Green Aventurine
- Meditation: various combos of Danburite, Auralite, Lapis Lazuli, Celestite, Lemurians, Phenacite, Selenite, Apophyllite, Herkimer Diamonds, Labradorite, Clear Quartz
Check out our selection of Power Pouches (Mojo) Bags.
There's a large variety of kits, including chakra kits and more.