What is Spirituality?
Spirituality is different for everyone. Some call it a life source, the higher source, higher self, the light, energy, God, Allah, cosmic consciousness, etc. Heightened spirituality can offer connection and meaning to one’s life. This connection, wholeness, or oneness can provide pleasure, joy, and solace as well as a sense of purpose and guidance. Spirituality is about who we are in relation to ourselves, others, and the universe.
Unlock Your Spirituality
One's spiritual journey is unique but here are a few ideas that may help to rediscover one's spiritual self.
- Animals and nature such as pets, sensory gardens with bird feeders, aromatic plants and flowers, water fountains, walks in the park or on the beach, etc.
- Aroma Therapy/Olfactory Stimulation such lavender, chamomile, incense, etc.
- Astral Projection - a technique in which one consciously leaves their body.
- Children: Young children especially, are more open spiritually than you may think. If you don't have young children around you, then try spending time at schools, day care centers, etc.
- Community projects such as for Veterans, animal shelters, homeless shelters, etc.
- Creative Activities such as painting, sculpting, gardening, poetry writing, song writing, storytelling, etc.
- Crystals: crystals have been used for healing and spiritual purposes since ancient times. Re-Creative Resources Inc. has an online crystal store at http://www.recreativeresources.com/Spiritual-Center/crystal-store.htm
- Deep Breathing is crucial to most relaxation techniques. When we relax, our breathing becomes deeper and slower and our heart rate decreases.
- Dreams -Journaling: You'll find that writing down your dreams and keeping track of what is going on in your life, helps to understand what the dreams mean. We often have some vital spiritual meanings in our dreams.
- Dreams - Lucid Dreaming: Lucid dreaming is when you become aware you are dreaming and you are able to control the dream.
Documentaries such as a documentary of someone who was a victim of the Holocaust. This helps us develop empathy.
Expressive arts such as drama, dance, and movement.
- Guided Imagery to create a positive mental representation of things we know or can fantasize.
- Inspirational stories, poems, proverbs, sayings, Chicken Soup for the Soul, etc. Check out our inspiration page.
- Meditation – a technique that allows an individual to reach an altered state of awareness and focus.
- Music and sounds such as relaxing music, inspirational music, nature sounds, playing an instrument, drumming circles, bell ringing, tuning forks, singing bowls, etc.
- Mystical experiences such as paranormal experiences.
- Metaphysics - A branch of philosophy focused on explaining the fundamental nature of being and the world.
- Nature or spiritual videos and movies.
- Personal growth opportunities such traveling, volunteering, voting, activism, etc.
- Prayer - take time each day to express your gratitude and send blessings.
- Quotes and memes.
- Reiki - A form of energy healing.
- Tai Chi – A Chinese martial art that is primarily practiced for its health benefits, including a means for dealing with tension and stress. Referred to as meditation in motion.
- Walks outdoors, especially in nature. Get outside!
- Yoga - A set of physical practices that include gentle stretches, breathing practices, and progressive deep relaxation.
Worship Services Intervention
This is a great resource designed to help residents with dementia maintain a
connection to their past spirituality in order to recall the memories of past
faith experiences that evoke a sense of the love of God and their faith
community, so that they may be supported to hold on to a spirit of hopefulness
and a sense of their own humanity. Learn
For other spiritual services, coaching, and crystals, visit our Spiritual ReSOULutions site
Click the banner to learn more