One's spiritual journey is unique for it is
different for everyone. Some believe in a higher power of some kind and may refer to this as a life source, the higher source, higher self, the light, energy, God, Allah, cosmic consciousness, etc. It has been my experience that heightened spirituality can offer connection and meaning to one’s life. This connection, wholeness, or oneness can provide pleasure, joy, and solace as well as a sense of purpose and guidance. Simply stated, spirituality is about who we are in relation to ourselves, others and the universe. Here are a few ideas that may help you to rediscover your spiritual self. There are many more but this is a great beginner's list.
- Animals and nature such as pets, sensory gardens with bird feeders, aromatic plants and flowers, water fountains, walks in the park or on the beach, etc.
- Aroma Therapy/Olfactory Stimulation such lavender, chamomile, incense, etc.
- Astral Projection - a technique in which one consciously leaves their body.
- Children: Young children especially, are more open spiritually than you may think. If you don't have young children around you, then try spending time at schools, day care centers, etc.
- Community projects such as for Veterans, animal shelters, homeless shelters, etc.
- Creative Activities such as painting, sculpting, gardening, poetry writing, song writing, storytelling, etc.
- Crystals: crystals have been used for healing and spiritual purposes since ancient times. Re-Creative Resources Inc. has an online crystal store.
- Deep Breathing is crucial to most relaxation techniques. When we relax, our breathing becomes deeper and slower and our heart rate decreases.
- Dreams - Journaling: You'll find that writing down your dreams and keeping track of what is going on in your life, helps to understand what the dreams mean. We often have some vital spiritual meanings in our dreams.
- Dreams - Lucid Dreaming: Lucid dreaming is when you become aware you are dreaming and you are able to control the dream.
- Documentaries such as a documentary of someone who was a victim of the Holocaust. This helps us develop empathy.
- Expressive arts such as singing, drama, dance, and movement.
- Guided Imagery to create a positive mental representation of things we know or can fantasize.
- Inspirational stories, poems, proverbs, sayings, Chicken Soup for the Soul, etc. Check out our inspiration page.
- Meditation – a technique that allows an individual to reach an altered state of awareness and focus.
- Music and sounds such as relaxing music, inspirational music, nature sounds, playing an instrument, drumming circles, bell ringing, tuning forks, singing bowls, etc.
- Mystical experiences such as paranormal experiences, synchronicities, etc.
- Metaphysics - A branch of philosophy focused on explaining the fundamental nature of being and the world.
- Personal growth opportunities such traveling, volunteering, voting, activism, etc.
- Prayer - take time each day to express your gratitude and send blessings.
- Quotes and memes.
- Reiki - A form of energy healing.
- Tai Chi – A Chinese martial art that is primarily practiced for its health benefits, including a means for dealing with tension and stress. Referred to as meditation in motion.
- Walks outdoors, especially in nature. Get outside and get GROUNDED.
- Yoga - A set of physical practices that include gentle stretches, breathing practices, and progressive deep relaxation.